Welcome to MapForums!

Register, sign in, or use Facebook Connect above to join in and participate in the forum.

When you are signed in, this message, the ads in this row, and the red-underlined link ads all go away.

Subscribe to receive our newsletter.
Subscribe Unsubscribe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

GPS/Nextel

This is a discussion on GPS/Nextel within the Development forums, part of the MapPoint Desktop Discussion category; Is anybody getting and processing GPS Data from Nextel devices? If so, I would really like to talk to you. ...

  1. #1
    EdB
    EdB is offline Member Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    56

    GPS/Nextel

    Is anybody getting and processing GPS Data from Nextel devices? If so, I would really like to talk to you.

    edbick@beavex.com

    Thanks

  2. #2
    sbktex is offline Junior Member White Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bedford,TX
    Posts
    6

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    This is a tease, as in, this courier company I'm contracting with uses Nextel i355's with it's 80ish drivers. We are using Actsoft's Comet Tracker app to do, at the moment, nothing but track drivers via GPS, and of course communicate voice. We are actively looking for different software, more for optimization concerns then tracking.

    I'm just getting started and learning a bit more each day, but there's a long shot I can help. What specifically do you need to know?
    THANKS !
    ScooterBugg

  3. #3
    EdB
    EdB is offline Member Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    56

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Quote Originally Posted by sbktex View Post
    This is a tease, as in, this courier company I'm contracting with uses Nextel i355's with it's 80ish drivers. We are using Actsoft's Comet Tracker app to do, at the moment, nothing but track drivers via GPS, and of course communicate voice. We are actively looking for different software, more for optimization concerns then tracking.

    I'm just getting started and learning a bit more each day, but there's a long shot I can help. What specifically do you need to know?

    Well, specifically, I would like to know how to pull the Lat/Lon from a GPS enabled Nextel device so that I can display the location on a map.

  4. #4
    Wilfried is offline Senior Member Black Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,433

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Hi,

    Normally every GPS device dupports NMEA 0183 format (if not then dump it So you prrogram the thing (in your application) to get the string of your choice (depending your needs), for example RFC or GGA and VTG and then it is just parsing the string to get coordinates out of it and other things you need. Here is a link NMEA (not completely correct I see, but there are plenty).

  5. #5
    EdB
    EdB is offline Member Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    56

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfried View Post
    Hi,

    Normally every GPS device dupports NMEA 0183 format (if not then dump it So you prrogram the thing (in your application) to get the string of your choice (depending your needs), for example RFC or GGA and VTG and then it is just parsing the string to get coordinates out of it and other things you need. Here is a link NMEA (not completely correct I see, but there are plenty).

    Wilfred,

    That is most definately helpful information. I'm sure that the Nextel device conforms to one of those standards, so that is part of the equation for me.

    How do I, from within my application, poll a specific Nextel unit and get that data is the rest of the equation for me, I believe.

    Thanks,

    Ed

  6. #6
    Wilfried is offline Senior Member Black Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,433

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Hi,

    Normally you don't have to poll the GPS receiver. In most (if not all) cases it will give you every second several data strings on the serial port. If this is not the case then best is to check the programming manual of the device to see what you have to send to it to get the data you want. But as I say it is probably not needed.

    To test you can check with hyperterminal. Comm speed is normally 4800,N,8,1 (NMEA standard) however there are some at 9600 baud also.

  7. #7
    EdB
    EdB is offline Member Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    56

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfried View Post
    Hi,

    Normally you don't have to poll the GPS receiver. In most (if not all) cases it will give you every second several data strings on the serial port. If this is not the case then best is to check the programming manual of the device to see what you have to send to it to get the data you want. But as I say it is probably not needed.

    To test you can check with hyperterminal. Comm speed is normally 4800,N,8,1 (NMEA standard) however there are some at 9600 baud also.
    Wilfried,

    I don't think you are catching my meaning. I have a driver who is out driving around somewhere. I want to know where that driver is right now. Do you (or does anyone else) have any sample VB.Net or C#.Net code of how to "contact" that driver's Nextel phone, which is "out there - somewhere" and have it return the data in one of the expected formats.

  8. #8
    Wilfried is offline Senior Member Black Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,433

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Hi,

    I don't understeand (English not my mother tongue), can you elaborate more or rephrase your question ?

  9. #9
    Mattys Consulting's Avatar
    Mattys Consulting is offline Senior Member Black Belt
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Wilfried,

    I think Ed has the idea to ping the phones from the server,
    instead of the phones sending signals back to the server.

    Mike

  10. #10
    Wilfried is offline Senior Member Black Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,433

    Re: GPS/Nextel

    Hi,

    Thanks Mike for clarifying (sometime I read too fast also)

    Ed you I don't know the Nextel devices, but sure there must be a manual available that shows how to get information from it. If it is a phone then you can do a datacall to it using normal AT commands (using a modem or GSM device).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nextel GPS & Mappoint
    By chasemichaels in forum MapPoint Desktop Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
  2. Using MAPPOINT 2004 to LOCATE NEXTEL GPSPhone on road
    By kashif in forum MapPoint Desktop Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM
  3. Nextel i530 and GPS
    By Anonymous in forum MapPoint Desktop Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 08:38 AM
  4. using MS mappoint and nextel gps
    By rlim in forum MapPoint Desktop Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 02:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87